Gluten Free Egg Roll Soup:
- 1 lb. ground turkey
- 1 medium white onion
- 2-3 large carrots
- 1 small green cabbage
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 2 tsp. ground ginger
- green onions + black pepper for topping
- Coat large pot with cooking spray or olive oil. Brown ground turkey in the pot.
- Chop onion and add to the pot. Cook for about 5 minutes.
- Peel & chop the carrots, then add to the pot. Let this cook for about 3 more minutes.
- Meanwhile, chop the cabbage.
- Add cabbage, chicken broth, and ground ginger to the pot. Give it a good stir & bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, reduce heat to low and let simmer until the veggies are tender. (About 15 minutes.)
- Pour yourself a bowl, add desired toppings, and enjoy!
This recipe has been a staple in the Prescott household for about a year now. It’s simple, delicious, and cheap! I discovered this recipe over at Gimme Some Oven. I won’t claim it as mine, but I will claim it as a favorite!
I’ve made a few minor modifications to the recipe, mostly to simplify the ingredient list and because of the limited ingredients available in my small town. The original recipe includes a teaspoon of toasted sesame oil. Tbh, that sounds delicious! But I haven’t tried it yet, because I’m a simple girl with a VERY small pantry. So I usually only purchase ingredients that I know I’ll get multiple uses out of.
Why did I choose ground turkey over pork? Honestly, I have no idea. For whatever reason, I chose turkey the first time I made this, and I’ve stuck with it ever since. From what I know of my shopping habits, the ground turkey was either a) cheaper or b) leaner. Or my local grocery store doesn’t have ground pork, which is a very real possibility. (I don’t branch out at the meat counter very much.)
Today, for the first time ever, I put a little bit of black pepper on my bowl of soup. My goodness that just added a whole new level of deliciousness! Pair it all with green onions and I’m a happy camper.
As always, this recipe is gluten free! Even if you can’t bite in to a crisp and crunchy egg roll at your local Chinese restaurant (RIP the gluten), I hope you have a chance to try out this simple egg roll soup.
P.S. This is the fourth pot of soup I’ve made this week. Not ashamed.