- 8-10 medium apples
- 3 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. nutmeg
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/2 cup water
- Peel, core, and slice apples. Put apple slices in crock pot.
- Add cornstarch, cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla to crock pot. Mix everything together.
- Pour water down the side of the crock pot (so it reaches the bottom without rinsing the spices from the apples).
- Put lid on crock pot. Cook on High for 2 hours.
- Stir the apples. Cook for 1 more hour.
- Blend with a hand blender if you prefer smooth applesauce, or simply stir if you prefer a chunkier applesauce.
Can I just say that I LOVE homemade applesauce!? My goodness it’s just so good. It’s perfect for a snack or an after dinner dessert.
What’s so great about homemade applesauce is that when it comes to a recipe, there are just so many good options to choose from! It can be as complex or simple as you prefer. All you really need are apples, and then you just throw whatever else you’d like in with them! I’ve seen a wide range of possible ingredients out there, including: brown sugar, lemon juice, ground cloves, ginger, nutmeg, and butter. It’s really whatever you want to make it.
If you’re looking for something a little sweeter, I highly recommend Hot Buttered Apples from Budget Bytes. The first time I made this, it completely fell apart and turned into applesauce. So if you’d prefer cooked apples instead, I would recommend decreasing the cook time. Either way, very good! The recipe is delicious as both hot buttered apples and applesauce.
And of course, as always, this recipe is gluten free.