Gluten Free Chicken Pesto Sweet Potato Skillet:
- 1 large sweet potato
- 1 lb. chicken
- 4 oz. pesto sauce
- bundle of asparagus (optional)
- Cut raw chicken into cubes & cook on the stove (with olive oil) over medium heat until cooked through. Set aside in a bowl.
- Chop sweet potato into cubes & cook on the stove (with olive oil) over medium-low heat. Covering the skillet with a lid will speed up the cook time. Stir occasionally until cooked through. (The sweet potato is cooked when you can stick a fork through it.)
- Meanwhile, steam fresh asparagus on the stove until you can stick a fork through it. (Optional – any green veggie goes great with this meal!)
- Decrease heat to low and mix the chicken, pesto, and asparagus in with the sweet potato. Then give it a chance to simmer for a few minutes.
This Gluten Free Chicken Pesto Sweet Potato Skillet is next in line on the long list of Prescott family favorites. Why do we love it so much? It tastes good, it’s simple, and it’s pretty cheap. You can’t go wrong.
Seriously, this recipe is only THREE ingredients, unless of course you want to add asparagus. But then only four. Not bad.
I love to add asparagus to this dish in the summer. Why didn’t I add it this time around? Unfortunately, a pound of asparagus is currently $4.99 at my local grocery store. $4.99! I’m all for investing in my health and I regularly purchase foods with my health in mind. But why pay $4.99 when you can get a bundle of broccoli for less than $2?
Roast broccoli is a go-to at my house. It pairs well with just about everything, especially Chicken Pesto Sweet Potato Skillet. To make roast broccoli: chop it up, spray with cooking spray, sprinkle on some sea salt, and roast in the oven at 425 degrees for 25-30 minutes (depending on your desired crispiness).
Gluten free friends: note that not all pesto sauce is created equal. Some dry mixes do in fact contain wheat. I’ve come to really enjoy Classico Traditional Pesto, but I’m sure there are plenty of other good GF options out there too!