Gluten Free Ham/Apple/Sweet Potato Scramble:
- 1/2 medium white onion
- 1 large sweet potato
- 1 medium apple
- 1/2 lb. cubed ham
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp. rosemary (dried or fresh)
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- Chop onion and saute in a large frying pan or pot on medium heat. Let cook 3-4 minutes.
- Peel & dice the sweet potato & add to pot. Decrease heat to medium-low. Cover and cook until tender (meaning it’s not mushy, but you can stick a fork through it). It is best to stir occasionally.
- Peel, core & dice apple. Then add apple, ham, rosemary, salt, cinnamon, garlic powder & onion powder to pot. Cover and stir occasionally.
- Scramble eggs in a separate pan.
- When apples are tender and have been cooked to your liking, add scrambled eggs to the pot and mix together.
- Enjoy! Best served warm.
This gluten free scramble is super simple and an easy recipe to pull off in less than 30 minutes. I first discovered it over at Paleo Newbie. I made a minor tweak with the seasonings by taking out a few and adding a bit of rosemary. I’ll admit, at first glance, the thought of cinnamon with onion powder, garlic powder, and rosemary is a little unusual. But in my opinion, it all comes together very well!
I’ll admit, the cooked apples have a tendency to draw skeptics. It’s not something you find in most recipes. But I think it really pulls the dish together. I say give it a try, and if you’re not a fan, don’t add apples the next time. (If you don’t add apples, I’d take out the cinnamon too.)
One thing to note about the apples: don’t let them cook too long, or they’ll get a bit mushy. Unless mushy is your thing, then great! Cook them as long or little as you prefer.