Gluten Free Squash & Sausage Skillet:
- 1 butternut squash
- 1 acorn squash
- 1/2 medium white onion
- 1 lb. Italian sausage
- 1 medium apple
- 1 Tbsp. rosemary (fresh or dried)
- 2 tsp. thyme
- Chop butternut & acorn squash. Spread on roasting pan with olive oil & sea salt.
- Roast squash in oven at 425 degrees for 35-40 minutes, depending on desired crispiness.
- Chop onion and saute in pot or pan (on medium heat) with olive oil until lightly caramelized. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Brown sausage in the same pan until cooked through.
- Dice apple and add to the pan with sausage. Mix in rosemary and thyme. Cook until apples have reached your desired softness.
- When squash is done roasting, remove from oven and mix with everything else in the pan.
This recipe has a major fall vibe going to it, but who says you can’t enjoy the flavors of fall in the dead of winter! Be warned, this recipe is addicting. The combination of Italian sausage, rosemary, thyme, and roast squash just can’t be beat.
It’s certainly not the fastest recipe to make, but at least the ingredient list is simple. The one kicker about the squash is that it takes time commitment to chop. Unlike most veggies, you’ve got to peel the squash before you cut it, and remove the seeds inside. For that reason, this recipe is a bit of a treat in my home. We don’t have it very often. But when we do, we never regret it! It has been a win in my book every time.
Just like the last recipe I posted, this one has cooked apples. Not a fan? No worries! It would be just as good without. So what are you waiting for, give it a try! The ingredients are simple, it’s tasty, and as always – it’s gluten free!