Gluten Free Italian Spaghetti Squash:
- 1 small spaghetti squash
- 1 lb. ground turkey
- 14.5 oz. can Italian-style diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp. Italian seasoning blend
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1/2 small red onion
- dried parsley (optional)
- Cut spaghetti squash in half lengthwise & remove seeds.
- Put squash (cut-side down) in a microwave safe bowl and fill with about 1 inch of water. Microwave on high about 12-15 minutes, until a fork will easily pierce the squash.
- Take squash out of the bowl and let it cool for a few minutes.
- Spray a large pan with cooking spray & brown the ground turkey. Drain excess liquid. Set heat to medium-low.
- Drain the diced tomatoes and add to the pan along with the Italian seasoning blend, salt, and pepper. Mix together.
- When squash is cool enough to handle, scrape out the spaghetti squash strands with a fork and add to the pan.
- Chop the red onion and add to the pan. (Add earlier if you want a softer onion. I like the contrast of a crunchy onion with this recipe.)
- Mix everything together, add dried parsley on top, and enjoy!
My husband and I have always been big fans of spaghetti squash. When it comes to “pasta” (because I know that spaghetti squash is not really pasta), it’s all we ever eat. We’ve been married for 1.5 years and I can honestly say that I’ve never made traditional pasta or spaghetti. But we’ve had plenty of spaghetti squash.
That’s not to say I haven’t enjoyed the gluten free pasta I’ve tried. Because let’s be real, any pasta (gluten free or not) covered in alfredo or marinara sauce is gonna be good. But I do like the taste and texture of spaghetti squash – and I think it’s a great alternative to the real thing.
So what are you waiting for? Give it a try! It’s a simple recipe that can easily come together in 30 minutes or less.
One thing to note about spaghetti squash: there’s really no “right way” to cook it! If you’d rather cook it in the oven, give it a try!