Gluten Free / Dairy Free Creamy Chicken Soup
- 8 oz. sliced mushrooms
- 1 medium onion
- 2-3 large carrots
- 2 stalks celery
- 2 small potatoes
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups shredded chicken breast
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 tsp. dried rosemary
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/4 cup cashews
- Spray large pot with cooking spray & cook mushrooms on low about 8 minutes.
- Chop onion and add to the pot.
- Peel carrots & potatoes. Chop carrots & celery. Cut potatoes in half.
- Add carrots, celery, potatoes, chicken broth, chicken, and seasonings to pot.
- Bring to a boil. Once boiling, simmer the soup on low for 20 minutes.
- Remove potatoes from the pot and put in your blender with cashews and about 1 cup of broth. (It’s okay if a few other veggies come out with the broth.) Blend on high until smooth and then add to the pot.
- Mix everything together and enjoy!
When I was first introduced to the idea of thickening soup with cashews, I was pretty skeptical. But I’m happy to report that it works wonders! The ‘cream’ from the cashews and potatoes was SO THICK – almost like a paste. I was amazed.
Using cashews was an easy option for me (because we have a large stash of cashews at my house), but if you don’t have cashews on hand and don’t want to go out of your way to buy cashews (they can be spendy!), you can always thicken this soup with dairy cream or cornstarch and milk.
One thing to note about the blender: you’ll want to use a high-powered blender. (I have a Ninja blender.) If the blender’s not strong, you might have a bit of trouble with the cashews.