Gluten Free Sausage / Apple / Sweet Potato Scramble:
- 1 package kielbasa or sausage (about 13 oz.)
- 1/2 medium white onion
- 1 large sweet potato
- 1 medium apple
- 4 eggs
- 1 Tbsp. rosemary
- 1 tsp. thyme
- 1 tsp. salt
- Slice sausage and fry in skillet until golden brown. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- Chop onion and add to skillet on medium heat. Cook 3-4 minutes.
- Peel & chop sweet potato, then add sweet potato to the skillet. Decrease heat to medium-low. Cover and cook until tender, stirring occasionally.
- Chop apple and add to the skillet. Mix in cooked sausage, rosemary, thyme & salt. Cover and stir occasionally.
- Scramble eggs in a separate pan.
- When apples are tender and have been cooked to your liking, add scrambled eggs to the pot and mix together.
Alright, moment of truth. My husband is starting to get tired of all these recipes with apples and sweet potato. What can I say – I tend to stick with what I like. And I really like apples and sweet potatoes. But I can’t blame him. Branching out is a good thing too.
So, we’ll just have to see what recipes I come up with in the weeks and months to come!
I’ve always thought it would be fun to pick out one new food or ingredient from the store each week and try out a new recipe with it. I haven’t done that yet, but maybe this would be a good push to get me to try new things!
I was inspired to put together this sausage / apple / sweet potato scramble from a photo I saw on Pinterest. There wasn’t actually a recipe attached, so I thought I’d throw something together based on a few other recipes I’m familiar with. The biggest example being my ham / apple / sweet potato scramble.
All in all – I like it! As I’ve said before, cooked apples aren’t for everyone, and that’s okay. If you want to take them out of the recipe, great! The joy in cooking is that you have freedom to adapt recipes to your liking and preference.
So give it a try! And feel free to adjust the recipe as you see fit.