Gluten Free Ham Cheese Chowder
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups peeled & cubed potatoes
- 1/2 cup sliced celery
- 1/2 cup sliced carrots
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 2 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 can 16 oz. whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 1/4 cup cubed ham
- Add water, potatoes, celery, carrots, onion, salt & pepper to a soup pot. Bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat and simmer 8-10 minutes.
- While the pot is simmering, mix milk and cornstarch in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, whisking frequently so the milk does not burn. Then simmer until thick.
- Remove from heat & mix cheese with the thickened milk. Stir until cheese is melted.
- Add corn & ham to the pot of veggies. Mix in creamy cheese mixture.
Let me tell you – this ham cheese chowder does not disappoint! Hands down one of my favorite recipes.
I was introduced to this ham cheese chowder recipe three years ago when I traveled home with my college roommate for fall break. (Shout-out Al-Pal!) Alli’s mom made a big pot of chowder with hot and doughy Rhodes rolls (RIP the gluten) and instantly, I FELL IN LOVE!
The original recipe calls for flour & butter to thicken the soup, but the switch to cornstarch is an easy one. The trick with cornstarch is that you want to mix it with your liquid (in this case, milk) while it’s still cold. If you add cornstarch to a hot liquid, it’s not going to thicken as well.
So go ahead and give this recipe a try! It’s a tried and true recipe that passes the taste test every single time.