Gluten Free Cornbread Chicken Enchiladas
- 1 lb. shredded chicken breast
- 10 oz. can enchilada sauce
- 3/4 cup salsa
- 15 oz. can black beans
- 15 oz. can whole kernel corn
- 15 oz. box GF cornbread (+ ingredients as directed on the box)
- Mix shredded chicken, enchilada sauce, salsa, black beans (drained & rinsed), and corn (rinsed). Pour into a 13×9 inch baking pan.
- Prepare cornbread as directed on the box. Pour cornbread mixture to cover everything in the pan.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 35-40 minutes, or until cornbread is baked through and golden.
This cornbread chicken enchilada recipe is one that I recently pulled out of the archives. It has long been a favorite, but when I started eating gluten free it went on the back burner. I’ve been gluten free for just about a year now, so it’s been more than a year since I’ve indulged in this delicacy.
A few weeks ago, some friends came over to my apartment to make a pot of chili with me. And of course, cornbread is the only logical choice when it comes to choosing a side dish for chili. So I branched out and bought my first ever box of GF cornbread (I know – I am very slow to try new things). Wow was it delicious. Since then, I’ve made cornbread on at least 2 or 3 other occasions.
My local grocery store only has 2 brands of GF cornbread. Every time I’ve purchased Krusteaz GF Honey Cornbread and it does not disappoint! It’s better than the regular cornbread we used to buy. (But let’s be real, we bought the cheapest kind.) Honestly, you can’t even tell that it’s gluten free, which makes it a big win in my husband’s book.
I love this recipe because it’s so easy to make (simple ingredients + it doesn’t take long to mix together) and because it is absolutely delicious. So go ahead and give it a try! It’s something that’s a little different, but pairs together two familiar recipes (cornbread + enchiladas) in a beautifully tasty way.