Gluten Free Sweet Potato Breakfast Casserole
- 1 lb. Italian sausage
- 1 large sweet potato
- 8 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Brown Italian sausage on the stove.
- Drain excess grease & add sausage to 9×13 baking dish.
- Chop sweet potato into cubes & cook on the stove until soft. (Will cook faster if you cover the pan with a lid.)
- Once cooked, add sweet potato cubes to the baking dish. Mix sweet potatoes & sausage together.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, milk & seasonings. Evenly pour mixture over the sweet potatoes & sausage.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes, or until eggs are fully cooked.
My husband and I returned home last night after 10 days in sunny Florida. It’s always great to get away (especially to warmer weather), but it’s always good to come home too. We came home to an empty fridge, but not an empty freezer!
I made and froze this breakfast casserole before we left because I knew that if I didn’t, I wouldn’t have anything to eat for breakfast today. And breakfast, in my opinion, is the best meal of the day. And the most important. I can’t imagine going to work without breakfast – I would be hangry and my stomach would growl all morning.
Before freezing any casserole, it’s important to let it cool completely. Instead of freezing the whole pan, I decided to freeze the casserole in individual servings. I cut the casserole into 8 squares, wrapped them in plastic wrap, and then wrapped them in aluminum foil.
I took one square out of the freezer last night, let it defrost in the fridge overnight, and then this morning popped it in the microwave until it was warmed through. Couldn’t have been any easier!
This is a casserole that will keep well in the fridge all week. When I have a busy week coming up, I like to make this casserole on the weekend so my breakfast prep is short and simple during the week. Every morning, I’ll cut a square from the casserole and heat it in the microwave. An easy breakfast with less than 2 minutes prep time.